Hi friends! How are you? Are you surviving school/exams? What have you been up to? Hope you’re well!
I don’t know about you, but breakfast foods are my all time fav foods. I hate getting up when it’s dark out (aka: early) as much as the next girl but one thing that motivates me to get out of bed is the thought of breakfast. When I’m falling asleep I think “Hmmm, what shall I have for breakfast tomorrow?” If I’ve had a bad day I come home and make waffles or crepes and load them on with chocolate, strawberries and bananas. I live for the typical brunch foods – crepes, croissants, fresh fruit, etc., so it can be hard for me to make the decision to have a healthy breakfast. I won’t do it unless it’s equally as yummy, so I’ve created a few of my own easy breakfast recipes that are bit healthier than those brunch staples.
Sidenote: You may not know this but I’m a vegetarian so these are all meat free – most are vegan!
- Oatmeal with apple and cinnamon. This one I eat the most often because it’s super quick and easy: boil some water on a kettle, while it’s heating up get out some oatmeal, dice up some apple and toss them in a boil. Poor in some boiling water to cook the oats and soften them (but not too much water!) then pop some cinnamon on top and mix it together. If you’re really hurting for something a little extra you can try it with bananas and peanut butter (organic, because it’s the yummiest).
- Yogurt with fruit, sunflower seed and pure maple syrup/honey. I use plain greek yogurt for this, pop in some fruit – my favourite is peaches, but I’ll use whatever we have around the house, and top it off with some sunflower seed, and/or hemp hearts. Then you can add in a little maple syrup or honey if you’re looking for a little more sweetness, personally I like it without and I usually add some other nuts or granola along with the usual cinnamon 🙂
- Toast with avocado, pumpkin seeds and balsamic vinegar. Pop a piece of toast in the toaster, while it’s toasting smush up one half of an avocado. Once your toast is ready smear the avocado on like peanut butter,then drop some pumpkin seeds on and drizzle on a little balsamic vinegar. This is more of a late breakfast/early lunch recipe but this is my absolute favourite way to make toast!
- Smoothie bowl: Start by making a really thick smoothie with some frozen fruit and veg, try to include 3/4 veg, 1/4 fruit for it to be healthiest, there are tons of recipes for this online but I just use whatever’s already in the freezer. Add in some water or milk, some peanut butter or honey, and I usually toss either some protein powder or some flax in as well. Mix it all up in a blender then poor it into a bowl and top it off with things like crushed nuts or seeds, fruit, or shredded coconut.
- Steel cut oats and fruit. This one’s pretty straight forward, I cook my steel cut oats on the stove top and then just chop up some fruit and add it in, sometimes with a bit of cinnamon as well. You can also substitute the oats for things like granola or a healthy cereal as well.
If you have your own healthy breakfast recipes feel free to leave them in the comments below! I usually enjoy these over a cup of green tea, and watch a few youtube videos while I eat 🙂